CenterPointe Behavioral Health System offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) to its treatment options for depression. Treating depression with TMS Therapy provides a breakthrough depression treatment for those who have not been satisfied with the results they have had with antidepressant drugs. This FDA-approved therapy is designed to help depressed individuals who have not achieved relief through pharmacotherapy to return to their routine activities and feel like themselves again.
TMS uses targeted magnetic pulses similar to those used in MRI to stimulate nerve cells in the brain that are underactive in individuals with depression and reduce or eliminate symptoms of depression. During the four-to-six week treatment course, patients receive daily Monday through Friday outpatient treatment for approximately 20 minutes in the comfort of a physician’s office. Patients are awake and alert during treatment and can go back to their normal activities immediately after treatment.
- FDA Cleared
- not ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)
- long lasting symptom relief
- covered by most insurances, including Medicare and Tricare
- has no side effects of drugs
- over 1 million treatments delivered
TMS Therapy can benefit individuals who have some of the following symptoms:
- Depression symptoms have interfered with daily life
- Medications are not providing relief from depression
- Medications for depression have side effects
- Frequent changes in medications for depression have been made due to side effects
TMS Therapy is indicated for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. TMS Therapy is only available by prescription. A doctor at one of our CenterPointe treatment locations can help decide if TMS Therapy is right for you.